Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My little garden


My dream was always to grow a little garden of my own when I bought my first house.

Well, after A LOT of hard work, we succeeded! 

We have come such a long way in our backyard, however, we have such a long way to go.
Our backyard was a disaster when we first moved in!

Here is one "before" picture of a little side yard.


 This picture just does not do it justice of just how bad it really was.
The weeds were SO overgrown.
By the time I had taken this picture, we had removed a large amount already.

After removing every weed and every blade of grass,
Brian and I sifted through the dirt with a make shift strainer Brian made.

So...here is an "after" picture of my garden today:


So far, I have grown: Cilantro, lettuce, squash, spinach (the spinach didn't do so well)
The orange tree was relocated as I came to find out it was not a dwarf as I originally thought.
That might cause us some trouble.
Oh well. We'll see what happens.


Today I planted lettuce, basil, spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, kale and rainbow chard.
PS-I have no idea what the heck chard is!!!
I am just super excited to grow stuff!!!

I am learning so much with every little harvest. 
I cannot wait to really live off of my land in my own backyard.
Stay tuned to see what my little garden looks like this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment